Tuesday 1 September 2015

Have you ever thought of things that give you real happiness?

Happiness is your natural state of mind, it
is the complexities you get yourself into that
makes happiness a distant goal
It is a challenge for me to put a definition of what 'real happiness' really is. There have been moments when my mind was at its peak in terms of the way it feels and the energy it radiates. These are moments when people & circumstances end up becoming powerless in terms of affecting my mood. It feels light and fresh, as if I am on some kind of a drug that has doubled the levels of serotonin (a happiness hormone). The problem is that these moments are short lived. Here is a short list of things that allow me the experience of these "peak moments":
  1. When I get up early in the morning and witness the sunrise while sipping the coffee and reading a novel. The reason why such an experience makes me feel good, is because I am a night-owl and I am habituated to an unhealthy sleeping pattern of sleeping late and waking up later
  2. When I hang out with friends who truly understand me and inspire me
  3. When I perform my prayers in isolation and get into a conversation with God, I end up feeling at peace with myself and full of mental and emotional serenity
  4. When I succeed in bringing my Mind to a state of thoughtlessness during meditation
  5. When I work-out in the gym and see myself getting leaner in the post workout selfie (Lol)
  6. When I strike out all tasks in my to-do-list before dusk
  7. When I meet like minded people and instantly strike a chord with them
  8. When I receive compliments not really on something that I have done or achieved but rather on the way I have made someone feel. This is quite a superior feeling when someone happens to talk to me about the difference my action or even my words have made to them when they were at their lowest
  9. When I make peace with a painful episode from my past that was bothering me for a long time just because I wasn't able to let go of it
  10. When I successfully implement a change within myself like giving up a bad habit forever or cultivating a new set of skills or habits that lead to a better quality life
Although the list can go on but for now these things really do give me the glimpse of true happiness and the more I bring them into my everyday experience the more I learn about myself. I come to know on a deeper level about what and how I really am and about the things that have a potential of making me feel good & not-so-good

No comments:

Post a Comment